Sunday, July 5, 2009

Orange Flowered Beauties







One of my passions in this world are the orange flowers of some plants, flowers that vary in color from one individual to the next. These are the beauties of the flower world, at least to me, and are a sort of a triplet, three totally unrelated species that have a sort of similarity, orange flowers that range from yellow with a hint of orange, to red, also with a hint of orange. I wish I had some of the photos I took in the past, but many of them I forgot to back up when I did a destructive reinstall of Windows.

One of these that grows profusely in my postage stamp front yard is the Trumpet Creeper, or Cow Itch Vine, Campsis radicans L. Seem. ex Bureau. (That L. and Seem. ex. Bureau is just the name of the author(s) of the scientific name. No need to worry about unless you are a Botanist.) We have all three colors here, buttery yellow
true Orange

and almost red.

We are truly fortunate to have these in our front yard, and they are here due to the love Suzanne, my wife, has for these vines.

Another one that does this is the Flame Azalea, a sort of icon of the Southern Appalachians, and a gorgeous sight on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Spring. I have only an orange one in this photo, but they range the same as the Cow Itch, from nearly yellow to nearly red.

This one shows the contrast to the brown of the forest floor.

Another of my three favorites is the Butterfly Weed. Lori at Reflections on the Catawba has some nice photos of Butterfly weed. The one in our yard is pretty much middle of the scale orange,

but they also range from butter yellow to almost red. You can see a small bee in the Butterfly weed, maybe the same kind Lori talks about. It has come to the attention of many in agriculture that wild bees are a significant pollinator of many types of crops, and are often more effective than Honeybees.

In your travels through the Mountains and Piedmont, look for the variable orange flowers of the Trumpet Vine (also found in the Coastal Plain), and the Butterfly Weed; the Flame Azalea has pretty much finished blooming. You will be amazed at the range of colors, and if you have the color sense to see it, you can see the many hues from near yellow to near red, always with a hint of orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Stay on topic, and do not SPAM with external commercial links that have nothing to do with my post. I have notification turned on, so it will never be published. Thank you.