Thursday, February 5, 2009

HTML Mail

OK. I have had it with technical old fogies. I mean, it is here in the year 2009, and people are still afraid of HTML mail? Give me a break!

A few days ago I was warned about HTML mail when I sent a message to a birding group here in the Carolinas. It was a second warning. I did not wait for a third warning (whereupon I would have been banned), but sent a nasty flame message to the whole group, and unsubscribed myself. Why, you ask, did I do this? After receiving a number of messages from people who told me they will not post to that group because their e-mail program doesn't send in plain text (oh, yeah, it does, but they don't know that), and are relegated to only receiving mail and not able to participate, I decided to say something about this, and hopefully refute the pervasive current "wisdom" about this. You see, I had added a little picture of a view from Mount Mitchell to my signature file, and in order for this picture to go through, the mail had to be in HTML. I also had a few links, one to a page where I can accept (much needed) donations to keep my blogs (like this one) and lists and web pages going. I even had a message bounced from a Yahoo group for birds in North Carolina. Well, I did not and do not see the problem. I will tell you why.

First off, it is 2009 for God's sake! Most e-mail proggies worth being called that can format and receive HTML with no problems. Let me refute a few things from a popular web site with some of my own opinions. Taken from Georgedillon.com's "7 reasons why HTML email is evil"

1. HTML e-mail is dangerous


So is breathing, swimming, horseback riding, sailing, skydiving, smoking, driving a car, and crosing the road. Most of us do many of those things, and many do all of them. We use safety equipment when we do many of them - some of even wear seat belts. A good virus program and some common sense can go a long way.

2. HTML e-mail always wastes bandwidth


Yep. Most of us these days are on some form of high speed, so the point is moot. Even dial-up is now at 56K.

3. HTML e-mail doesn't always work


Does if you want it to. If you use a modern e-mail program like Thunderbird or Windows Mail. This is an argument for 1998. I can't buy into it.

4. HTML e-mail can connect to the internet by itself


Once again, only if you want it to. Mozilla Thunderbird will not unless I tell it to. Plus, so what? I have a firewall and an antivirus. It's like whitewater canoeing. You wear the necessary safety equipment and the risks go way down.

5. HTML e-mail renders slowly


What year did I say this was? My computer, a low end desktop has a dual core processor and 2 gigs of memory. This might have applied 10 years ago. HTML mail comes up in the same time as plain text on mine, and did the same on my 8 year old computer (633Mhz with 192mb memory). This just doesn't apply any more.

6. HTML usually looks like it has been designed by stoned amateur chimpanzees using Front Page Express with their feet



What??? I get HTML mail from dozens of web sites, including my ISP. They all look good. What year did I say this was?

7. Digested lists hate HTML mail

Oh yeah, so they do. So they just rip out the formatting, as does Yahoo! No biggie.



So there. I just do not see what the fuss is about. I own several Yahoo lists, and moderate another. All are set to accept HTML. Yahoo kindly checks each message for viruses. My antivirus kindly checks each one as it is downloaded. My list clients can use whatever formatting they fancy or is the default on their e-mail program. And I don't have to worry about it.

Alex Netherton
Blue Ridge Discovery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Stay on topic, and do not SPAM with external commercial links that have nothing to do with my post. I have notification turned on, so it will never be published. Thank you.